Connecting with JIRA
Installing Nextup is a simple process the can be completed in less than 10 minutes. The setup is one-time and allows your team to get started right away.
Note: You must complete all steps in order to make the bot work. No connection to JIRA means the bot can't get ticket information via the JIRA APIs.
- JIRA Connection Steps
- JIRA Connection FAQ
Connect with JIRA
After the connection with Slack is established you will now create an Application Link connection with JIRA. This is JIRAs version of the same process that you likely just completed in Slack. The application will generate dynamic data for your connection and will guide you through the setup process.
Things to know:
- Creating Application Links requires admin access in JIRA
- You have to complete all steps and save conenction data for the bot to work correctly.
Setup Process - completed via your account
- Navigate to Application Links in JIRA - this requires JIRA administrator permissions
- Enter the Nextup URL in the application links screen and click Create New Link
- Populate the form to provide the secure connection information - this will be different for each team get your data in your account +
- MOST IMPORTANT STEP - Save your connection data in Nextup. This saves your dynamic data and completes the connection. +
After saving the connection data your bot is ready to go - you can continue to update your settings or return to Slack and invite the bot to your channels or start chatting directly with the bot.
JIRA Connection FAQ
Why is this step required?
- Nextup uses the JIRA APis to get information, create tickets, etc when the bot is used. The JIRA Application link process is the most secure way to connect JIRA to applications.
What kind of security is used?
- JIRA Application links are build on secure OAuth connections. Read more information from JIRA here
Is there another option other than Application Links?
- JIRA provides a few different methods to connect applications but none of them are as secure as an Application link which is the recommended method from Atlassian.
Do I need extra permissions?
- JIIRA requires admin access to the JIRA instance in order to create application links. Please contact your JIRA administrator to get the access you need or have them login to Nextup to complete the setup.
What if I don't have permission, can someone else complete this step?
- Yes, Nextup will automatically connect the accounts from anyone on your Slack team into the account you created and upon login the process can be completed.